10 Ways to Naturally Boost Your Libido Quickly
Loss of libido or reduce sex drive is a common problem in both men and women. In most cases, this disorder is linked to relationship issues such as being emotionally stressed or tired.
In other cases, it is often a sign of an underlying condition such as reduce hormone level. But can you really boost your libido naturally with foods and supplements?
Here is an insight into:
- What causes low libido or sex drive in men and women
- How to naturally boost libido
- Natural food you can use to boost libido and
- Supplements you can use
What causes low libido?
Libido is often believed to decrease with age, this is however not always the case. This is however not always the case. Reduce sex drive is not an inevitable part of aging.
A significant number of men will continue to have a “normal” libido as they grow old. What then causes low libido? Low libido can be a result of either physical and psychological problem or a combination of both.
Here are some of the possible causes of a decreased sex drive in both men and women.
1. Low testosterone
In men, libido directly relates to the number of testosterone hormones. With a testosterone, hormones will have low energy, poor concentration, and a reduced libido.
When this is the underlying causes, your doctor may prescribe testosterone replacement that is often in form of a gel, tablets, or an injection.
This treatment does not always improve erection and it may end up reducing a man’s sperm count thus affecting fertility. Testosterone therapy is often not recommended for couples looking to have children.
2. Erectile dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction or impotence is the inability to get and keep an erection. It can be an ongoing issue or a sign of an underlying medical condition that needs to be treated as soon as possible.
3. Sexually problems
Sexually problems are other possible causes of a reduced sex drive in both men and women. In such cases, the underlying cause of the low libido can be a result of physical issues such as:
- Erectile dysfunction
- Vaginal dryness
- Painful or irritating intercourse
- Vaginismus that causes involuntary tightening of the vagina
4. Emotional stress and anxiety
Anxiety, depression and emotional stress can also lead to a reduced sex drive in both men and women. These conditions can be consuming thus have a major impact not only on your social wellbeing but also on your sex drive.
If you always feel tired, anxious or depressed, you may want to see your doctor as soon as possible. Your healthcare provider will diagnose and be able to prescribe the most appropriate treatment option.
Lifestyle changes may also be required to try and manage the symptoms, this includes such things as yoga, meditation among others.
5. Menopause in women
Low libido is a common part of growing old. It is common for both men and women to have a reduced sex drive as the age.
It is however not an invertible part of aging, the effects are often different for different people.
The low sex drive can be attributed to the following:
- Reduced levels of estrogen and testosterone, these are known as the sex hormones in women. This is common during menopause
- In me, falling levels of testosterone is often the case
- Medication side effects
- Other age-related health problems
6. Pregnancy or breastfeeding
Most women experience a loss of interest in sex during pregnancy, after birth and when breastfeeding. The loss of interest is often time attributed to:
- Changing levels of different hormones
- Fatigue and exhaustion
- Severe pain
- Change in priority where all the focus is directed to the baby
Often times, most of this changes and the interest will start growing again. We recommend you talk to your healthcare provider if your sex drive doesn’t return or you are having problems with your sex life.
7. Medication side effects
In some cases, a reduced sex drive can be a side effect of a different medication you take. Some of these medications according to NHS will include the following:
- Blood pressure medication
- Different types of antidepressants
- Medication for an enlarged prostate
- Prostate cancer medication
- Hormonal contraception’s among others
Before using an over the counter medicine makes sure to check all the side effects that comes with the medication, if you suspect the low libido to be a side effect of a prescription drug, discontinue the use and see your healthcare provider as soon as possible.
8. Underlying medical conditions
Low sex drive can also be an effect of an underlying long-term medical condition. In such cases, it can be attributed to both physical and emotional strain caused by the said condition.
Low libido in both men and women is often associated with the following conditions:
- Underactive thyroid where the thyroid glands fail to produce enough hormones
- Heart and other organ diseases
- Major surgeries especially those involving organ removal or transplanting
9. Alcohol consumption
Alcohol and drug abuse is a major cause of reduced sex drive among youths.
Regular consumption of alcohol can be very harmful to your sex life that’s why it is often recommended not to drink more than 14 alcohol units a week or on a regular basis.
- What is Progesterone Injection Used For? Benefits & Side Effects
- Health Benefit of Biotin, Weight Loss & Hair Growth
- What Does It Mean When You Have A Tilted Uterus?
Natural way to boost libido
Though lack of libido is a common complaint in both men and women, studies show that the condition affects more women than men. A normal libido is relative from person to person.
The truth is a normal libido can promote both your physical and emotional wellness. Addressing the underlying cause, maintaining a balanced diet and keeping fit are some of the ways you can use to boost or promote libido.
Here is what you can do to increase libido quickly and naturally in both men and women.
How to increase libido in men & female quickly
The good news is you can increase your libido through your diet. Increasing your libido through diet includes what you should eat more and what you need to avoid. To boost your libido increase your consumption of:
- Natural Aphrodisiacs such as figs, bananas, and avocados are said to be loaded with natural mineral and vitamins that can increase blood flow to your genitals thus increase sex drive
- Vitamin C rich foods which include broccoli, red peppers, oranges among others
- Iron-rich foods especially for women. Low iron level is believed to have a negative effect on sex drive, lubrication, arousal and the ability to have an orgasm
- Dark chocolate leads to the release of phenylethylamine and serotonin that can aphrodisiac and mood-lifting effect.
- Almonds are rich in zinc, vitamin E, and selenium that can help improve sexual health and reproduction
- Make sure to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and eating enough fruits and vegetables.
To boost your libido fast, you will need to avoid the following foods:
- Avoid eating a lot of processed foods.
- High-sodium foods such as canned foods that can contribute to blood pressure, which then decreases the flow of blood to sex organs
- High sugar foods that can negatively affect sex hormones
- Also, avoid caffeine and a lot of alcohol consumption
Foods that boost libido
It is said that a normal libido promotes physical and emotional wellness. It can strengthen intimacy by increasing emotional bonds between you and your partner.
The best way to boost libido is by addressing the underlying cause. Maintaining a healthy diet can go a long way in treating some of the cases and rectifying the deficiency.
There are some natural foods believed to naturally boost libido. Increase your consumption of the following foods to naturally boost your libido. (This goes for both men and women):
1. Whole grains
Whole grains are rich in vital nutrients that may help boost your libido naturally. Unlike refined grains, whole grains are not stripped of the vital nutrients during processing.
They, therefore, provide more fiber, antioxidants and B vitamins that play an important role in libido or sex drive. Rich sources include oats, brown rice, barley, and popcorn.
2. Fresh fruits and vegetables
Fresh fruits and vegetables can also add vitality not only to your meals but also to your sex drives.
In a study published in the International Journal of Impotence Research, women with metabolic syndrome who consumed lots of fruits and vegetables had great improvements in sexual function.
To naturally boost your libido then, you will need to incorporate antioxidant-rich produce, such as berries, tomatoes, leafy greens, sweet potatoes regularly to your meals.
3. Fatty fish
Fatty fish is said to be a rich source of omega 3-fatty acids, these are essential fats that help in reducing bodily inflammations, enhance cardiovascular health, stave off negative moods and boost libido.
The American heart association recommends eating at least two 3 ½ ounce of servings of fish per week. Rich varieties include salmon, herring, mackerel and lake trout.
4. Nuts and seeds
Nuts and seed are the other rich sources of healthy fats that can help you boost your libido naturally. In women, consuming enough amounts of nuts and seed will help minimize vaginal dryness, together with boosting your libido.
Those allergic to fish should increase their consumption of avocado, flaxseeds, and walnuts. These are rich sources of omega-3 acid that can help boost libido.
Supplements to boost male libido
Apart from natural options, there are different supplements that can be used to quickly boost libido in both men and women.
Before trying any sex supplement, it is important to speak with a professional healthcare provider for appropriate dosage, possible side effects and what options might be the most effective.
In men, common supplements will include:
- DHEA, which can enhance sex drive by minimizing erectile dysfunction
- Vitamin E supplements are good for healthier sperms and increasing male fertility
- Fenugreek a supplement said to intensify sexual arousal and also reduce recovery time
- L-citrulline, this drug combats erectile dysfunction and boost sexual satisfaction
- Ginseng, this supplement is said to bolster overall sexual health including proper penile function, increase libido, performance and sperm count
- Maca, supplement can make your sex drive stronger and also boost sperm function
In women, your doctor is likely to prescribe any of the following:
- Estrogen skin creams to help vaginal dryness
- Erectile dysfunction drugs for women who have difficulty becoming aroused or reaching orgasm
- Testosterone treatment
- Antidepressants such as Wellbutrin for women who have not been through menopause yet
- How to Manage Spotting Before, During, After and Between Period
- Natural Ways to Stop Periods, For A Day, Immediately
- Braxton Hicks Contraction: Meaning, Causes & Treatment
- NHS choices, loss of libido or reduce sex drive: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/loss-of-libido/
- Health.com, 15 Everyday habits to boost your libido: http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20778590,00.html#the-lowdown-on-lust-1
- Dr. Axe, how to increase libido the natural way: https://draxe.com/how-to-increase-libido/
- WebMD, when a man’s sex drive is too low: https://www.webmd.com/sex-relationships/features/when-a-mans-sex-drive-is-too-low#1
- WebMD, treating low sex drive in women: https://www.webmd.com/women/features/is-there-a-pill-for-womens-libido#1