How to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes Fast Naturally
Wondering how to get rid of dark circles under eyes? Wonder no more. Dark circles under or around eyes occur when the blood vessels surrounding the eyes become engorged. Puffy eyelids are also a possible cause of these circle as they cast a shadow on the area.
Here is an insight on:
- what causes the circles, and
- How to get rid of them fast, natural without makeup
- We have also provided some simple and readily available remedies you can use at home
Signs, symptoms, and characteristics of bags under eyes
Bags or dark circles under eyes can easily be noticed. Though harmless, they can be annoying to have, they will often make your eyes appear swollen and saggy.
In rare cases, the bags may be accompanied by other symptoms such as redness, itching, and pain. In such cases, you may need to have your healthcare provider look at them as soon as possible.
This could be a sign of an allergic reaction especially if you notice these symptoms on other parts of the body.
- Swollen Eyelid, Pictures, Causes, Symptoms & Home Remedies
- Hard, Clear, Fluid-Fill Cyst on Eyeball: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
- What Does It Mean When Your Eye Twitches Every Day?
What causes dark circles around eyes?
Dark circles are simply discoloration of the skin under the eye. They are also referred to as dark ring or shadow. Though they are often not a medical concern, they can make someone look tired, older and unhealthy.
Normally, fat that helps support the eyes sometimes move into the lower eyelids causing the eyelids to appear puffy. Also, fluids may accumulate in the area below the eyes which adds to the swelling.
Fluid retention is often caused by changes in weather, fluctuating hormonal levels, lack of enough sleep, allergies, and consumption of too much salt.
According to mayo clinic, other possible causes of dark circles around eyes may include but not limited to the following:
- Seasonal allergies
- Water retention
- Normal aging process
- Working or starring on computer screen for long
- Thin or dry skin
- Prolonged crying
- Nasal congestion
- Mental and physical fatigue
- Lack of sleep
- Smoking among others
Though eye bags are common in both old and young people, under-eye puffiness becomes more common as one age. This is because generally, as one age, skin tissues around eyes weaken and sag, this causes fluids to accumulate beneath the eyes creating a swollen appearance.
How to prevent bags under eyes
As said dark circles under eyes are quite common and can occur to anyone. There are however some things you might do to minimize the risk of dark circles forming. Some of these things will include the following:
- Cut your consumption or alcohol and cigarettes before bed
- Collagen found in our muscles, bone, skin, and tendons help give the body strength and elasticity.
Production of collagen slows down as one age, to prevent this and avoid dark circles around eyes you need to get more collagen into your diet.
- Regular exercise is a natural way to reduce the signs of aging and maintain a youthful skin. You could try yoga for the face which involves slow exercises of the facial muscles to help tone and tighten them.
- Taking care of seasonal allergies that might cause eye puffiness. To do this you might natural remedies such as essential oil to keep the allergy in check.
- Cut your consumption of salt. Medical studies show that salt is linked to high blood pressure, too much salt is said to cause fluid retention thus causing puffiness around the eyes.
- Check on your sleeping position, sleeping on your back can prevent gravity from causing fluid buildup around eyes. you could consider adding an extra pillow
- Make sure you have enough sleep at least 6 hours of sleep is considered okay.
- Do not go to be with your days makeup on! This can irritate your eyes causing them to water and get puffy
- During the day avoid too much sunshine, you can do this by wearing protective eyewear and applying high UV blocking sunscreen.
- Try moisturizing at night and in the morning, aging typically causes dehydration of the skin due to lack of collagen.
How to get rid of dark circles with makeup
Dark circles under eyes are quite common-they occur to the best of us. Regardless of what the underlying cause is (lack of sleep or seasonal allergies) getting rid of them requires a correct and conceal strategy.
So then how do you get rid of bags under eyes with makeup? You need to do the following:
- While makeup can instantly camouflage darkness under or around eyes, you need to start by getting to the root of the problem with a brightening eye cream. Makeup artist recommends priming this area with a fast-absorbing gel formula.
- The next thing you need to do is to neutralize darkness. An orange shade will offset the blue, grey and brown tones in under-eye circles. With a small brush, simply apply a corrector to the inner corners of the eyes.
- From here, use your finger to apply a thin layer of concealer. Make sure it is two shade lighter than your usual foundation shade. The two will help create an illusion of perfectly even skin
- Now set the concealer with a fine dusting of yellow-toned powder, which counteracts dark spots on any skin tone. Use a mini powder puff to sweep it under eyes
How to get rid of dark circles overnight without makeups
Depending on what the underlying cause of the bags under eyes is, there are some simple do it yourself methods you can employ to get rid of the circles naturally without makeup.
You can use the options below to get rid of dark circles overnight:
1. Cold compress to get of dark circles overnight
When caused by sleep deprivation or seasonal allergies, applying a cold compress can be an effective way of getting rid of the dark circles.
A cold compress works by constricting the blood vessels around eyes which can also help reduce puffiness.
- Simply soak a clean washcloth in cold water
- Squeeze to get rid of excess water and place it on your eyes for 2 -3 minutes
- An alternative would be to wrap a few ice cube in a soft napkin and place it around eyes. Take caution, do not place ice directly on your skin for so long.
2. Turmeric paste
For large circles around eyes, the best option would be to apply turmeric paste which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that will help minims the circles.
This remedy will also help make the skin around eyes softer and smother.
- Prepare the paste y mixing 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder and pineapple juice
- Gently apply the paste to the affected area and leave it on for about 15 minutes
- You can rinse the paste off with cold water or wipe it out with a damp cloth
- Repeat this process at least twice a day
3. Cucumber slice and juice to get rid of eyes bags overnight
Fresh cucumber has skin lightening and mildly astringent properties that can help get rid of dark circles naturally. This remedy also has a soothing and refreshing effect.
Simply chop a fresh cucumber into small slices, chill them in a refrigerator for 10 minutes then hold a slice on each eye for 10 minutes. Wash your face with cold water and repeat this for about a week.
An alternative would be to mix cucumber juice with lemon juice and apply the mixture directly to the affected area using a clean cotton ball.
How to get rid of dark circles under eyes permanently
4. Lemon juice to get rid of eye bags permanently
Lemon juice is rich in vitamin C that can be very effective in getting rid of dark circles under eyes. Simply use a clean cotton ball to apply fresh lemon juice around the eye, leave it on for 10 minutes then rinse it off with cold water. You need to do this at least twice daily for a week.
For those with fairly sensitive skin, discontinue the use of this remedy if it causes a burning sensation.
5. Coconut oil
Due to its amazing moisturizing quality, massaging your skin with coconut oil can also be an amazing way to lighten the dark circles.
This remedy will also help promote smooth skin and prevent wrinkles and fines lines from forming under eyes.
All you have to do to permanently get rid of the dark circles is simply massage extra-virgin coconut, leave it on for some minutes then wash it off with cold water. You will need to do this at least twice a day.
6. Almond oil + raw Manuka honey to clear dark circles for good
The other remedy you can use to permanently get rid of the dark circles is the regular use of almond oil.
Before going to be, make sure you apply a little almond oil over the dark circles and massage it into the skin. Leave the oil on overnight and rinse it off with cold water the next morning. Follow this routine until the circle completely disappear.
Rose water is also an incredible skin care remedy. It has soothing properties and rejuvenates the skin thus helps get rid of puffiness. Its mild astringent properties make it a great skin toner.
Natural remedies for dark circles under eyes
8. Raw potato
Raw potato is said to have a bleaching agent that can help lighten dark circles under eyes and also get rid of puffiness around the eyes.
- Grate two potato to extract the juice
- Soak a cotton ball in the juice and place it over closed eyes for 10 minutes
- Rinse your face with cold water then do this again
Tomato juice has great bleaching properties that can help you lighten dark circles around the skin. all you have to do is mix one teaspoon of tomato juice with a half teaspoon of lemon juice.
Using a clean cotton ball, gently apply this mixture around eyes and allow it to sit for 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
10. Tea bag
Green tea bag has caffeine and antioxidants that can be highly beneficial in getting rid of dark circles under eyes.
Holding a green tea bag around eyes will help reduce puffiness and blood retention by shrinking blood vessels.
- Chill two used tea bag for about 10 minutes
- Place a bag on each eye and hold it on for 10 minutes
- Remove the bags and wash your face with cold water
- WebMD, 5 solutions for dark circles: https://www.webmd.com/beauty/features/dark-circles
- 11 Easy home remedies to get rid of dark circles: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/beauty/11-easy-home-remedies-to-get-rid-of-dark-circles/articleshow/46085098.cms
- How to get rid of dark circles fast: https://www.top10homeremedies.com/how-to/how-to-get-rid-of-dark-circles-fast.html
- 6 ways to improve the look of under-eye circles: http://www.elle.com/beauty/makeup-skin-care/tips/g8247/dark-under-eye-circles/
- How to prevent bags under eyes: https://draxe.com/how-to-get-rid-of-bags-under-eyes/
- Beauty cheat sheet: How to make dark circles vanish: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/advice/g1026/how-to-get-rid-of-dark-eye-circles-1209/