How to Get Rid of a Sore Throats Fast Naturally At Home
A sore throat is not only annoying but can also be uncomfortable and unbearable. So what really causes this condition and how do you get rid of a sore throat naturally at home?
A sore throat is a condition marked by pain in the throat. It is typically caused by inflammation due to a virus or cold. It is often characterized by pain, scratchiness, and irritation of the throat that often worsen when you swallow.
In this article, we offer some of the common causes of a sore throat, its symptoms, and how to treat the condition fast, and naturally at home with simple natural remedies that work fast, overnight.
- Causes and How to Treat White Spots on Tonsils and Throat
What causes a sore throat?
Treatment option of a sore throat will often vary depending on what the underlying causes. Pharyngitis, a viral infection is often the most common cause of a sore throat. In such cases, the condition will often clear on its own.
Viral infections that cause sore throats include:
- Influenza or flu– it is highly contagious, known to cause fever and severe itching. Often occur in epidemics.
- Common cold
- Chickenpox– an infectious disease caused by herpes zoster virus. This condition is characterized by a mild fever, a rash, and an itchy rash.
- Mononucleosis commonly known as mono
- Croup– common in children, marked by the inflammation of the larynx and trachea.
Strep throat, a less common type of a sore throat is caused by a bacterial infection. To prevent complications, this type of a sore throat requires being treated with antibiotics.
Other causes of this condition will include the following:
- Irritants such as chemical and tobacco smoke
- Muscle strain especially when yelling
- Cancerous tumors of the throat
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
Though anybody can develop this condition, there are some factors that can make one more susceptible. This will include such things as:
Age, where children are more likely to develop the condition. Allergies, exposure to chemicals, frequent sinus infections, and a weak or compromised immune system.
Like other conditions, there are some things you can do to prevent or reduce the likelihood of developing a sore throat. To prevent this condition:
i) make sure to always wash your hands thoroughly and frequently
ii) Limit or avoid sharing utensils with infected people
iii) Do not hold such things as your phone or pen with your mouth
iv) Reduce close physical contact with infected people
v) When washing your hands, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
Signs and symptoms of a sore throat
When diagnosing this condition, the signs and symptoms will vary depending on the underlying cause. In most of the cases, the following symptoms are observed:
- A painful sensation in the throat
- Red swollen tonsils
- Pain when swallowing
- White patches on your tonsils
- Swollen lymph node in neck and jaw
- A runny nose
- Mild to a severe headache
How long does a sore throat last
How long a sore throat last will often vary depending on the underlying cause. Often times, a viral pharyngitis will often clear on its own without treatment within a week. With antivirals, the condition often clears fast.
On the other hand, bacterial pharyngitis will not clear without antibiotics. With antibiotics, a bacterial sore throat will often clear within 3 to 4 days depending on your immune system. You should complete the dose or else your sore throat could come back.
You can prevent or reduce the chances of having a sore throat by staying away from people who are sick with an infectious illness such as flu or strep throat.
Make sure to wash your hands frequently, avoid spicy foods and acidic fruits. Also, stay away from chemical irritants and cigarette smoke that might cause inflammation.
How to get rid of a sore throat fast, overnight
Though very annoying, sore throat is often not life threating. There lots of effective, natural remedies you can use at home to relieve and get rid of a sore throat fast overnight.
To quickly get rid of a sore, you will need to do the following:
- In a clean cup, mix a tablespoon of kitchen salt, lemon juice, and some water
- Gently mix them to a chive a fine solution
- Use the solution to gargle for 15 minutes
- To speed up the healing and avoid worsening the symptoms, avoid sugary and cold liquids
Gargling with salt water will help reduce the swelling and relieve the discomfort that often accompanies a sore throat.
You can also use an over the counter lozenge to relieve the symptoms and get rid of a sore throat overnight. Most lozenges contain analgesics such as honey and lemon.
You can also try a throat spray to help relieve the pain. Throat sprays work by numbing the throat lining which helps get rid of a sore throat fast.
When accompanied by severe pain, there are lots of effective over the counter painkillers such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen you can use to relive and get rid of the pain overnight.
Natural ways to get rid of a sore throat, cold and cough
At home, there are lots of effective natural ways you can use to get rid of a sore throat. Some of the most effective options include the following:
1. Coconut oil
Coconut oil has lots of health benefits. Some of its benefits include fighting infections, reducing inflammation and relieving pain.
Given that it helps lubricate the mucous membrane in the throat, coconut oil can be a great soothing remedy.
To use this remedy: add a spoonful of hot tea, hot cocoa or soup in your mouth and allow it to melt down your throat.
Limit the amount of coconut oil intake to about 2 tablespoons per day. In high doses, coconut oil can have a laxative effect. This is especially true for those who have not taken the remedy before.
2. Garlic tea
Garlic is said to have great natural antibacterial properties that make it’s a great remedy to fight this infection. Studies show that taking garlic supplement on a regular basis can help prevent a common cold. To use this remedy:
- Add fresh chops of garlic into a teacup filled with water
- Boil or put the cup in a microwave for 5 minutes
- Take it out and add a tea bag of chamomile tea
- Add a tablespoon of raw Manuka honey mix then drink the mixture
- Do this thrice to speed up the healing process
3. Nasal Rinsing
Back in 2008, a study found out that children who rinsed with nasal water six times a day felt relief from cold symptoms.
Nasal rinsing involves filling your nose with salt water. Also called nasal irrigation or nasal lavage, or nasal douche, this is a personal hygiene practice in which the nasal cavity is washed to flush out mucus from the nose and sinuses.
4. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider has lots of natural antibacterial uses. Different studies show its antimicrobial effects in fighting infections. Due to its acidic nature, apple cider vinegar can be used to break down mucus in the throat thus stop the spread of bacterial infections.
ACV can be used in many different ways to get rid o a sore throat. This will depend on the severity of the illness and your body’s sensitivity to the remedy. We recommend you first consult your doctor before using this remedy.
- Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water
- Into it mix a tablespoon of raw honey
- Drink this antibacterial remedy to relieve the sore throat
5. Gargle with salt water
For a long time now, the best way to naturally get rid of a sore throat has been to gargle with salt water.
With this remedy, the salt helps reduce swelling by pulling water out of the throat tissues. It may also help fight and kill microbial that might worsen the symptoms of a sore throat. To use the remedy:
- Add a teaspoon of kitchen salt in a cup of warm water
- Gently mix to dissolve
- Use the resulting solution to gargle with a mouthful for 1 minute
6. Raw honey
Though often combined with other remedies to get rid of a sore throat, raw honey can also be used alone. Apart from soothing a sore throat, raw honey is rich in antibiotic properties that will help fight infection and also provider relief for pain.
To speed up the healing process, you can combine honey with warm water, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or any other herbs.
7. Lemon water
Lemon juice is the other great natural remedy you can use to get rid of a sore throat. The juice is said to be effective in reducing throat pain that occurs during a cold or a flu.
Lemon juice contains vitamin C and antioxidant. To keep your mucous membrane moist, this remedy increases the amount of saliva you produce. To use the remedy:
- Mix lemon juice with warm water
- Into it add a tablespoon of raw honey to maximize the benefit
- Mix the ingredients and drink at least 2 cups a day
How to get rid of a sore throat during pregnancy
During pregnancy, a sore throat occurs as a part of your body’s immune response to a bacterial or a viral infection. To minimize chances of complications, it is often a good idea to seek professional medical attention as soon as you notice any of the above symptoms.
It is your natural immune response that leads to the inflammation and swelling of the mucous membrane in the throat. Below are some effective natural remedies you can use to get rid of a sore throat during pregnancy:
8. Ginger root tea
Ginger is a natural spice rich in antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help relieve throat pain.
Studies shows that when an extract of ginger was applied to throat swabs from people with bacterial respiratory tract infections, it helped kill some of the bacteria.
To make your own ginger root tea, you will need to do the following:
- Grate a fresh ginger root into a small bowl
- Add a tablespoon of the grated ginger into a saucepan with hot water and cover it with a lid
- Let it cool for 10 minutes
- Add some honey and lemon juice then gently stir to mix
- You can reheat or serve the tea cold
9. Drink plenty of fluids
We also recommend increasing your consumption of fluids especially water. Warm fluids will help thin secretion in the throat and also soothe irritation in the throat.
Also when your body is well hydrated, it makes it easy to fight off infections thus the sore throat will clear fast.
Drink warm chamomile or ginger tea. To speed up the healing process, you could try mix Manuka honey and lemon juice.
10. Steam shower
You can also get rid of a sore throat by giving yourself a steam shower. Simply add some hot water in a basin and breathe in the steam from the hot water. This will help reduce the swelling and ease the pain caused by a sore throat.
For those who do not have a humidifier, an alternative would be to boil some water in your room. Add a tablespoon or two of menthol ointment to the boiling water and allow it to fill your room.
11. Get plenty of rest
Most of the above remedies will help relieve and get rid of a sore throat fast. During pregnancy, we recommend you take enough rest to speed up the healing process and make you feel your best.
Sore throat remedies for kids
Though common in both kids and adults, kids are more likely to develop this condition. Regardless of what the underlying cause is, the first concern is often how to reduce and relieve the pain. In children, anti-inflammatories such as paracetamol are often recommend.
Other effective remedies for kids will include:
- Gargling with salty water at least twice a day
- Making them drink more fluids to keep them well hydrated. Avoid sweet drinks such as juice and popsicles.
- Allowing your kids to have enough rest
- A tablespoon or two of raw Manuka honey. Note, don’t give honey to children who are younger than 1 year.
- In kids, marshmallows sap has also been used to treat coughs, cold and sore throats
When treating sore throat on kids, you need to make sure your baby avoid the following:
- Do not give your kid dairy foods, studies shows that these foods make one stuffy especially when with a sore throat
- Cold foods and drinks, give them warm drinks like tea or water.
- Do not give your kid fruits such as oranges or lemon, these fruits contain citrus that can hurt their throats and worsen the pain
- Also, avoid sugary food such as cake which is scratchy on throat and hard to swallow
A sore throat can be more complicated in kids than in adults. For that reason, we recommend you see your health care providers as soon as you notice the following symptoms:
- Difficulty breathing
- Excess drooling which might indicate an inability to swallow or
- Difficulty breathing
- Causes, symptoms and how to get rid of a sore throat: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sore-throat/symptoms-causes/syc-20351635
- Natural remedies to get rid of sore throats: https://www.healthline.com/health/cold-flu/sore-throat-natural-remedies
- Home treatment for a sore throat and other throat problems: https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/tc/sore-throat-home-treatment#1