Skin Tags on Labia, Causes, Pictures & How to Get Rid
Skin tags on labia or vaginal skin tag are benign growths that can appear on female genitalia. Most women find it had to differentiate between skin tags and different growths such as a mole, and seborrheic keratosis. In rare cases, the growths can be mistaken for vaginal warts, which are sexually transmitted.
Here are some of the common causes, pictures of how the tags appear and a guide on how to treat and get rid of skin tag.
What are skin tags?
Skin tags are small, soft, skin-colored growths that hang off the skin. They are very common and in most cases will resemble warts.
Skin tags are harmless and will often vary in color and size. Apart from the labia, skin tags can also be seen on the neck, under the breasts, on the groin, and in the armpit. In rare cases, some people may develop these growths on the eyelids and under the folds of the buttocks.
As mentioned, skin tags are harmless, apart from being a cosmetic concern when occurring on conspicuous part of the body, skin tags do not pose any health risk. They tend to develop almost anywhere on the body but are more common on parts of the body that rubs against itself or with clothes.
Skin tags in groin area pictures
What causes skin tags on vagina?
Skin tags are made of collagen fibers (a type of protein found throughout the body) and blood vessels surrounded by skin. These growths are common in older people with other risk factors including people with obesity, overweight and those with type 2 diabetes.
Though most women may develop these growths for no apparent reasons, pregnant women are more likely to have skin tags on their groin as a result of hormonal fluctuations.
These growths are more likely to develop in skin folds where the skin rubs against itself. This explains where they are common in people who are obese or overweight.
Vaginal skin tags are harmless growths of extra skin. These growths are believed to be caused by friction of skin. When occurring on labia or vulva, there are more commonly referred to as genital skin tag or vaginal skin tag.
In women, they are more likely to be caused by everyday occurrences such as:
- Friction from underpants
- Excessive use of feminine hygiene products
- Unprotected sex
- Hormonal changes especially during pregnancy
- Weight-related reasons i.e. being overweight or obese
- Genetic factors, some women are genetically predisposed to develop the growth
- Being diabetic (type 2 diabetes)
Are skin tags contagious?
Skin tags are common bump on adult’s skin. They are harmless but can be very annoying. Skin tags are not cancerous, they are benign tumors, and do not become cancerous when left untreated. Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that common skin tags are contagious.
If the growths seem to spread form you to your partner, a sudden outbreak or cluster of growth is more likely to be genital warts and not vaginal tags. The two are different, to compare them:
- While genital tags are smooth and soft, genital warts tends to be rougher with irregular surface
- Skin tags tend to hang off the skin, while on the other hand warts are slightly raised or flat in some cases
- As said tags are NOT CONTAGIOUS, genital warts, on the other hand, spread very easily.
Skin tag on vagina during pregnancy
Women are more likely to develop skin tags compared to men. These growths are also more likely to occur period and pregnancy than other times. Hormonal fluctuation and imbalance during this time are attributed to most of the changes taking place during this time.
During pregnancy, the skin tags on labia may vary in color, size, and number from one woman to the other. Not all pregnant women develop these growths, but in those who do, the tags may be small, large or a mixture of both.
These growths are considered normal and will in most cases clear without treatment. If they fail to do that or start to bleed, increase in size or develop an irregular shape, we recommend you have your health care provider look at it as soon as possible.
Skin tag treatment
Skin tags on labia or on any part of the body are harmless and not contagious, they also do not cause pain or discomfort, and most will even go unnoticed. For that reason, no treatment is required. Most will often clear on their own after some time.
For large skin tags, however, you may consider having them removed if they affect your esteem or are a cause of discomfort for example if they snag on your underpants or they bleed and cause pain. In such cases, a cosmetic surgery may be required to get rid of the tags.
It can be done in the following ways:
a) Cryotherapy or freezing
This involves the use of extreme cold to get rid of a skin tag and other skin growths. Liquid nitrogen is used to instantly freeze the skin tag. Once they harden it becomes very easy to get rid of them.
b) Surgical removal
A surgical procedure involves cutting the tags off individually. An anesthesia may be used to relieve pain and make the procedure more bearable.
c) Laser therapy
Here, high-frequency laser frequency is used to burn off the skin tags.
This procedure involves sealing the wounds burning or freezing it off. With this procedure, an electrical current can be used to burn off the skin tags on labia
e) Tie them off
In this option, a thread is tied around the stalk to deprive the skin tag oxygen and blood supply. The tags will then die and fall off after a week or some days. This can also be done using a tag band.
How to remove skin tags on vagina, best way
You should not try to remove a skin tag on your own without first speaking to your health care provider. Just as with genital warts, there effective ways skin tags on labia can be removed.
Commonly used methods to remove the tags is freeing or burning them. These removal options can cause skin irritation and discoloration, in most cases, the skin tags may not fall off, therefore addition treatment may be required.
Surgical removal is there for the best way to remove or get rid of a skin tag. It has the advantage of removing the tag completely. Bleeding is a minor risk associated with surgical removal f skin tags on labia.
For a small skin tag with a narrow base, the best way to get rid of it will be to remove it yourself. At home, you can do this in two ways:
- Simply cutting it off with a clean, sterile pair of scissors or
- Tying the base of the tag with dental floss or cotton to cut the supply of blood, this will make the skin tag drop off by itself
Skin tags removal cost
Skin tags removal procedures are considered as a cosmetic procedure. They are not a health problem. The removal cost will often vary depending on the method to be used. The cost may also vary from one dermatologist to the other.
The average total skin tag removal is around $209. This can vary depending on your location, health insurance provider and the health practitioner.
General the removal cost may involve the following:
- Initial consultation
- The cost may vary depending on the number of tags to be removed. Getting rid of a single tag can be expensive compared to removing a cluster of tags
- For infected skin tags, the cost can be met by your health insurance provider.
To get the best removal deal, check how different practices charges before booking an appointment
Skin tags removal creams
Some people are more likely to develop skin tags than others. Though not harmful, they can be very embarrassing and annoying. Skin tags should not worry you, the different removal creams you can use to easily get rid of them at home.
To identify the best creams to remove skin tags at home, you need to first look at what ingredients different creams contain. For those with sensitive or allergic skin, there are some creams that can be allergic to your skin. You will need to avoid them.
When choosing what cream to use, cost, effectiveness and other reviews of the creams should be considered. Commonly used removal creams include:
- Pristine herbal touch warts and mole vanish
- Bioxin skin tag removal cream
How to get rid of skin tags on vagina at home
Though one can easily get rid of skin tags at home, most of the remedies used may not be very effective in some areas of the body, like on anus, penis and on vaginal.
Getting rid of skin tags on labia by cutting or pinching they can cause intolerable pain and irritation. So then, how do you get rid of skin tags on vagina at home? A comprehensive dermatology center in Laguna Hills, California advocates the use of home remedies to get rid of skin tags on the vagina and other sensitive areas.
Follow this procedure when removing skin tags at home, you will need, antibacterial soap, a clean nail polish, liquid bandage and clean bandages.
- You need to identify whether the growth is a wart, polyp, hemorrhoid or a skin tag
- Once sure the growth is a skin tag, you need to wash the affected area with antibacterial soap then pat it dry with a clean towel
- Now apply a liquid bandage or a nail polish. This works by cutting off oxygen supply which causes the skin tag to dry and fall off
- Wait for the polish or liquid bandage to dry before applying another layer then cover it with a bandage
- You will need to do this after bathing, that can be twice a day
- If the skin tags fail to fall off, there are other over the counter products specifically designed to attack these growths.
- Causes and How to Remove Skin Tags on Anus-Around & Inside Anus
- Pimple like Bump in Pubic Area, males, female, Causes, get rid
- Pimple on Labia, On Male Private Parts, Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
- Blood Blister on Anus, Hemorrhoids, Painful and Bleeding Lump near Anus Treatment
- What Does It Mean When Your Eye Twitches Every Day?
- MedicineNet.com, skin tag facts: http://www.medicinenet.com/skin_tag/article.htm
- National Health Service, skin tags removal: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/skin-tags/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Netmums, skin tags on vagina lip during pregnancy: https://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/woman-504/health-756/698138-skin-tag-all.html
- How to get rid of skin tags in sensitive areas: http://www.livestrong.com/article/148592-how-to-get-rid-of-skin-tags-in-sensitive-areas/